Saturday 15 December 2018

The Hate U Give



Wow... It has again been a while. My life certainly isn't anywhere near the same as it was the last time I posted, but we'll save all that for another time. 

One good thing in all the upheaval of Autumn is I read a book and at long last it was The Hate U Give. I could honestly talk for days but have just about managed to condense it all into one post.
Image result for angie Thomas THUG


This is just one of the amazing covers, I've brought the film edition and you bet I'll be getting my hands on a US edition too.

I'll be honest I brought this book for every member of my family last Christmas, because I just knew this book would be revolutionary. I didn't allow myself to see the film until I'd read Angie's words first (despite getting goosebumps every time I watched the trailer). I kept up with this book on twitter, the internet, I thought I knew so much about the book and still was surprised.

I connected with this book from the turn of the first page.


When I finally sat down to read it I was so pleased that the book exceeded my expectations. I laughed I cried, I cried again. And with the turning of the last page I gave it straight to one of my besties because everyone needs to read THUG. 

As a mixed race girl I liked to think I was ‘woke’ as people say. The reality is this book educated me in so many ways. 

The narrative was clear, Starr’s outlook on the world was clear. And from starting it there wasn’t a point I wanted to put it down (yes at risk of over sharing , I took it to the bathroom several times). 

I genuinely don’t think there’s a single person who doesn’t need to read this book and explore the unique perspective it offers on a very real and current issue. 

Now before I turn in to a rambley (not a real word) mess grab yourself a copy and get reading. Head to your library. If money’s tight, grab yourself a copy on amazon it’s currently £4 and if you have the luxury of a local bookshop get going there and treat yourself!


Anyhow wishing you all happy reading experiences and festive cheer!

Sophia @brokefrombooks



No comments:

Post a Comment